Excerpt: A detailed article to help any amateur business with How to hire a good web developer? or their business.
Read Time: 10 mins
We already know that there are different types of developers doing different works. But when it comes to the hiring of web developers, we are often confused with options available in the market. In the market, you will find web development agencies/companies and freelance web developers. To kill the confusion and make your life easier, we are going to give you a comparative understanding of both.
Company Vs Freelance: Which one to Choose?
Freelance Web Developer
- Flexibility: A freelancer can work at any time. Unlike software companies, freelancers are willing to work beyond working hours. Their main goal is to finish the task as soon as possible. As a result, they are unconcerned about working longer days.
- Affordability: All services will be charged by Freelancer. You will not be charged for space or belongings. The software company's overhead expenses will be excluded in this way.
- Speedy Work: It operates on the basis of a contract. As a result, the ultimate product takes centre stage. The freelancer would like to have the job done as quickly as possible. After that, a new project is started. This aids in the increase of earnings. As a result, you can count on quick work.
- Communication: When dealing with a single individual, that person is solely responsible for themselves and their assigned tasks. This knowledge makes communication a lot easier. A freelancer will not be able to tell you that they are running late due to someone else.
- When you need preferred freelancers, remember that they aren't always available. It's possible that the expert you're looking for is already working on another project. Either you wait or you settle for someone else.
- Hiring freelancers does pose a threat to confidentiality. Being confidentiality a means of survival in the business world, hiring a freelancer may jeopardise your privacy.
- A freelancer, unlike a software company, can disappear at any time. You have no control over the freelancer.
- It's possible that the quality won't be guaranteed. The freelancer is concentrating on the final result. As a result, quality may be compromised. It is true that quality assurance is important in creating a difference.
- Maintenance is not assured. Since freelancers are recruited on a project-by-project basis. So, for future updates or to remedy any issues you might need a freelancer again.
- The freelancers are usually specialists in a single topic. As a result, if you engage a freelancer, you can only get one service completed.
Company web developer
- Packages of Services: Companies also supply complimentary ideas in addition to the services you require. Packages are provided by software businesses. Professional consulting, company assessments and concept appraisal are all included. These will be especially beneficial to start-ups.
- Teamwork: A company's skill set will be communal. As a designer, developer, manager, writer, and others, every one of us has a critical duty to perform. Unlike freelancers, companies justify all of the positions.
- Updated: The company stays current with new technology and trends. It ensures that there is always room for improvisation. Companies take advantage of cutting-edge technology. As a result, you will be able to receive the best web development or application.
- Expertise: Software firms operate on a variety of tasks. Expertise comes from experience. Each task is also completed by a professional. This improves the end result.
- No legal issues: The Corporation is a separate legal entity. As a result, it provides stability.
- Quality Assured: Software companies are more concerned with their customers and their products. They concentrate on offering high-quality service. They are more concerned with the process. As a result, they are able to deliver the greatest service possible.
- Maintenance: The world is constantly evolving. Customers' wants are similar. As a result, regular updates are essential. Companies that sell software can assist with installation and configuration. The long-term partnership ensures that assistance is available for regular updates and support. This will make it easier to use websites and applications.
- High rate of expansion. Unlike inconsistency in freelancing, hiring software firms will assure rapid expansion.
- Increased costs: As previously said, recruiting a team is almost always more expensive than hiring a single person. In addition to the service itself, a corporation will have to face other costs (e.g. office rent, taxes, utilities, etc.).
- Longer time frame: It's not that companies don't want to accomplish things quickly. Internal communications and processes simply take longer. While the firm may be able to offer a superior end result than a freelancer, it will most certainly take twice as long to complete.
- Miscommunication: If you hire a corporation, the majority of your ideas will likely be communicated through a single manager, while the real job will be performed by people you'll never meet. This, of course, increases the likelihood of something being misinterpreted. Written roadmaps and documentation can aid in this endeavour, but the risk will always exist.
Comparative Analysis: Freelance Vs Companies
|Expertise||Specific Skillset||Collective Skillset|
|Confidentiality||Higher Risk||Lower Risk|
Now when you know the basic difference between hiring a freelance web developer or a software company. The question which you might be thinking about is where to find these web developers to hire for your business. So, let’s give a quick solution to this question as well.
Where To Hire A Web Developer?
Freelance Web Developer
For freelance developers, if you just type on Google ‘Hire Freelance Web Developer’ you will find a number of websites showcasing innumerable web developers. We will discuss a few such websites where you can find your suitable freelance developers.
Toptal claims to continually seek to uncover and collaborate with the top future talent from around the world. The hiring procedure can take anywhere from a few days to three weeks. They don't charge a fee for hiring and ensure that their freelancers are of excellent quality. Toptal has a low failure rate, which is due to the screening process that selects domain experts. Toptal was originally built with web talent in mind. For website design and development, they have a network of experienced freelancers. According to Toptal, just about 3% of web developers pass their technical assessments and go through the lengthy process. They are one of the top websites for hiring web developers because they have a developer base that understands PHP, Python, and other programming languages.
- Quality candidates are ensured by a rigorous screening process, which saves you money on screening costs.
- 100% risk-free trial
- Expensive than other options
One of the main marketplaces for website developers is Upwork. You can engage contractors for a few easy coding chores or for a series of sophisticated projects to start a long-term partnership. Upwork's marketplace is likely to match your demands if you appreciate the idea of locating, interviewing, and managing freelance web developers.
- The cost of labour can be reduced if there are a large number of offers.
- Online payment method that is safe and simple to use
- Network of thousands of developers are eager to work
- A large number of bids might lead to pricing fixation, resulting in a lack of quality.
- From job advertisement to project completion, it takes a long time.
Freelancer.com, like the other services mentioned, allows you to post your project and obtain competitive bids from freelancers. They also have a reputation system to make choosing the perfect freelancer easier. You may also improve your project for a cost, such as having Freelancer's recruiters help you filter your prospects or having your project featured inside the posting system.
- A large pool of talented freelancers
- Great for project-based work.
- With a 10% fee and additional upgrades, it's a bit pricey.
- With a large pool of talent comes a shortage of talent in some areas.
Fiverr breaks down the freelance marketplace into smaller project parts. Freelancers create profiles that introduce themselves and the services they do, with the website even providing an introduction video. Companies can use a keyword search or go straight to specific categories like "Web & Mobile Design" to search their talent pool. Most Fiverr freelancers, according to their name, will offer small services for $5, but assignments will also feature a list of "Gig Extras" that can be added for additional prices.
- A mechanism for rating freelancers are in place.
- Quick turnaround on projects
- A very cost-effective option
- Appropriate for modest jobs or projects.
UpStack, as a network of engineering talent, enables small firms to grow their development teams without having to hire additional people. Each candidate featured on UpStack has been thoroughly vetted to ensure that they are knowledgeable in the fields they claim to specialise in. Only 1% of candidates are admitted into the UpStack freelancing roster as a result of this process. The cost of joining this handpicked club of freelancers is steep, with a deposit of hundreds of dollars necessary to get started.
- Candidates will be given a two-week trial period.
- There are developers who specialise in each category.
- Just under 700 candidates. Could be hard to find help during busy periods.
- High deposit costs.
Besides these, you will also find several other websites as well like GitHub, Gigster, Dice, PeoplePerHour and many more. We liked these so we recommended these.
For the search of companies, you can either Google them up and reach them via their websites. The second option can be LinkedIn where you can search for them.
Psst. We are also a company with this skill. You can reach out to us as well.
Now when you know, where to search for your web developers. Are you scratching your head about the skills that you should be looking for in a web developer? Again, we will help you with this as well.
Web Developer Skills
We are not going to give a descriptive checklist for web developer skills. But rather a very quick one. You can read about them on the internet and you will find a lot of information on it.
Here you'll learn the fundamental skills you'll need to become a Web developer.
- GIT (Code Versioning)
- Basic graphic design
- Back end and Databases
- Working with Hosting (Publishing website)
- Libraries and frameworks
If you follow this quick checklist of skills, you can easily find your web developer.
Finally, before hiring your stress will be around the finances. We will give you a quick sneak peek of the total cost of hiring a web developer.
Total Cost of Hiring A Web Developer
The cost of hiring a web developer depends on various factors. To mention a few, we would say
The price of hiring a web developer can go up or down depending on the location of the web developer. For example, when a business wishes to reduce the cost of web development, Asia's low-cost offerings are surely appealing. For customers on a budget, it appears to be a viable solution.
- Type of Website:
Depending on the type of website you want to develop, the cost again varies. For instance, e-commerce website development cost varies between 615-1370 dollars, an educational website is between 275-410 dollars, corporate website for 345-550 dollars whereas for a brochure website it can be as low as 35-70 dollars.
- Kind of web developer- Company/ Freelance/In-House:
The kind of web developer you are looking for also decides your expenses.
In-house developers with experience cost an average of $8075 USD each year. Whereas hiring from an outsourcing company might cost anything from $3,000 to $20,000, depending on the complexity of the website. Also, for a web development project, an Indian freelancer will charge between $10 and $15 USD per hour.
- Experience or Seniority Level:
The seniority or the experience also counts while considering the cost of hiring. Amateur web developers in India charge roughly $30 USD per hour. An experienced developer, on the other hand, costs roughly $80 USD.
We hope now you can go out easily and hire a web developer. If still, you are in confusion, we can help you. We at NativeByte have skilled web developers who can help you to develop your website.
Frequently Asked Question
Q1: How much does it cost to hire someone to build a website?
However, on average, you can expect an initial cost of about $ 200 to build a website and an ongoing cost of about $ 50 a month to maintain. If you're hiring a designer or developer, the quote is high-expect a prepaid fee of about $ 6,000 at a continuous cost of $ 1,000 a year.
Q2: How much should I charge as a freelance web developer?
For an hourly rate, the average freelance web designer can charge about $ 75 an hour. This number may vary due to various factors. The typical cost of designing a website is between $ 27 and $ 60 per hour, but the cost of developing a website can be as high as $ 100 to $ 180 per hour.
Q3: How much can a beginner freelance web developer make?
Entry-level freelance web designers with less than three years of experience earn an average of Rs 3.7 lakhs a year.
Q4: How to hire a good web developer?
Specify your business challenges. ...
Decide on the developer's skills. ...
Finding necessary specialists. ...
Check out the web development team's expertise. ...
Select a working model. ...
Choose a payment model.